We have had monsoon rains all summer, but it turned cold after the one last night. I needed a sweater and hat to check the mail!
Today, as I was finishing up reorganizing my kitchen and changing the storage for my gluten free mixes and flour to glass jars, I decided to make a brownie from scratch.
After all, the oven wouldn’t heat up the kitchen!
I had almost a cup of a flour blend that did not fit into one jar, so decided to use it in the brownie.
This recipe uses 12 tbsp of fat and 1 1/2 cups sweetener. I have different types of shortening, so decided to mix them. I also like to mix stevia with sugar to reduce the sugar grams.
Feel free to use all sugar and/or butter. Stevia blends don’t have the moisture that sugar has, so a bit of liquid sweetener was used
I like dark chocolate thus this is a dark chocolate brownie. If you are a milk chocolate lover, add another 1/4 cup sweetener and remove 1 tbsp of cocoa.
Gluten Free Dark Decadent Brownies
Brownie Mix / Flour Mix
1/4 cup tapioca flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 tsp baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 tsp xanthan gum
1/4 cup sugar
1 cup Stevia blend (or sugar)
3/4 cups Dutch-process cocoa
Wet ingredients and Fats
8 tbsp unsalted butter (room temperature)
1 tbsp Nutiva Shortening (red palm & coconut oil blend)
2 tbsp coconut oil
1 tbsp Red Palm Oil
2 large eggs
1/4 cup chocolate syrup (used Hershey's Special Dark)
1 tsp vanilla extract
Water as Needed
1/4 cup hot water
1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
1/2 cup milk chocolate chips
1/4 cup chopped walnuts
1/4 cup mini semi-sweet chocolate chips
2 tbsp coconut, unsweetened, shredded (Let's Do Organic)
· Preheat the oven to 350°F. Lightly grease a 9" x 13" shiny pan. A 1/4 sheet pan is comparable.
· Whisk all Brownie Mix ingredients together and set aside
· Beat the Wet ingredients and Fats until blended
· Beat in the combined Brownie mix until blended, scraping down the bowl as necessary. Gradually add in the hot water beating until blended
· Fold in the Add Ins
· Spread batter into a lightly greased shiny pan. Top evenly with Toppings
· Bake the brownies for 20 to 22 minutes, or until a cake tester inserted into the center comes out clean, or with just a tiny amount of moist crumbs clinging to it.
· The edges of the brownies should be set, but the middle still soft.
· Remove the brownies from the oven, and cool them completely before cutting and serving
Yield: 24 brownie bars
Nutrition as prepared (per serving): 163 calories, 10.2g total fat, 1.5g monounsaturated fat, <1g polyunsaturated fat, 0g trans fatty acids, 0g trans-monoenoic fatty acids, <1g linoleic acid, <1g alpha linolenic acid, 6.3g saturated fat, 29.5mg cholesterol, 91.2mg sodium, 23.6mg calcium, 13.2mg potassium, 3.4mcg folate, 32.4mg phosphorus, <1mg phytosterols, <1mcg lycopene, 1.4mcg selenium, <1mg thiamin, <1mcg vitamin b12, <1mg vitamin b6, <1mg vitamin c, 1.5IU vitamin d, <1mg zinc, 17.8g carbohydrates, 2.2g fiber, 15.6g net carbohydrates, 9g sugar, <1g fructose, <1g galactose, <1g glucose, <1g lactose, <1g maltose, <1g sucrose, <1mg stigmasterol, 2g protein.