Friday, February 19, 2010

Complete Protein Bean Soup

One of the things that I have noticed since being retired is that I can't seem to decide on what to prepare for dinner. This can be a bit difficult when one must remain on a wheat free (wheat, rye, barley) diet.

A quick meal can be a fast trip for sandwiches or pizza for those without food allergies. That is not an a option for me without driving and asking questions about cross-contamination. It is simpler to just prepare my own meals.

I haven't quite perfected gluten free bread baking, so I either make corn muffins or buy a loaf of Udi's bread. The cost of the purchased bread helps in preventing my eating a lot of sandwiches. That's not to say that I do not make cookies, brownies and cakes.

I haven't managed to reduce the amount cooked, because, in the past, I planned for enough to take to work for lunch. Now I am trying new ways to do 'left over make overs'.

I had tomatillos and 2 half cans of beans in the refrigerator. I had no idea what to do with tomatillos until someone used them in salsa. The light bulb popped and I decided to add them to bean soup!

So here's to my version of a complete protein meal without meat!   note the amount of protein.  
A view from the breakfast nook.


Complete Protein Bean Soup
1 cup black beans
1 cup kidney beans
2 cups red beans
2 cups corn kernels
6 medium tomatillos
2 cups low sodium vegetable juice
2 Tbs diced dyhydrated onion
1/2 cup canned chopped chili peppers
2 tsp sweetner (used sweetnlow)
2 tsp spanish paprica
1 Tbs salt free Cajun spice mix
1/2 tsp ground ginger


Remove outer skin from tomatillos, cut into cubes.
If using canned vegetables look for low-sodium varieties, rinse and drain.
Place all ingredients in a medium slow cooker on low at least 3 hours before you plan to eat.
Test for seasoning 30 minutes before serving. If salt is needed, sprinkle 1/2 tsp sea salt over the top, do not stir. replace top on slow cooker.
Serve with avocado cubes, if desired.
 
Note 16 ounces = 2 cups

Servings:4
Nutrition Facts
Serving size: 1/4 of a recipe (17.1 ounces).
Nutrition information calculated from recipe ingredients.
Amount Per Serving - bean soup only
Calories 347.8

Total Fat 2.84g
Saturated Fat 0.49g
Cholesterol 0mg
Sodium 497.34mg
Potassium 1426.59mg
Total Carbohydrates 67.62g
Fiber 17.07g
Sugar 10.19g
Protein 18.01g

2 comments:

  1. MMMM....I just filled my crockpot with beans, tomatoes, carrots, onions and zucchini. Tomorrow there will be chili! Your bean soup looks fantastic. It would go over well in this house. I didn't think to add corn....oh well...no more room in the thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know what you mean by "no more room in the pot" means. You have the list of ingredients and do not realize all of it will not fit.

    I am really working on that one, because I end up with lots of left overs.

    ReplyDelete