Monday, March 1, 2010

Apple Coffee Cake - gluten free

About 6 apples were sitting in the refrigerator bin waiting for me to do something with them. Originally, I bought them with the intent of eating fresh apples. Finally, I started looking at recipes trying to get an idea of what to do with them. A few days passed and still no light bulb. I peeled, cored, sliced and rinsed them with lemon juice. As I was about to return them to the refrigerator in their new state, a little voice said ‘why are you putting them back in the refrigerator?” “Didn’t you take them out to make something with them?”


Well, I decided to listen to that little voice, of course I chose not to answer it verbally, because I was afraid it may decide to become an alter ego and that is another topic for conversation.

 I put them in a pot with about a cup of sugar, another tablespoon of lemon juice and a teaspoon of cinnamon. They were on a low simmer, so I left the room and forgot that they were on the stove.

 About 2 hours later, I began to smell a nice cinnamon fragrance that made me hungry. I walked back into the kitchen and there was the forgotten pot of apples cooked into a golden brown color. I decided to taste them and they were delicious. Finally I decided that I would make some type of apple cake with them. I did not want the normal sweet apple cake, so I decided to use a bread type flour mix and add some sugar to it.  The final result was an Apple Coffee Cake.




Apple Coffee Cake - gluten free
Ingredients
Filling
3 cups cooked sweetened sliced apples or canned apple pie mix
CAKE
  • 1-1/4 cups Gluten Free Pantry French Bread Mix
  • 1 1/4 tsp baking powder
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1/2 cup sour cream
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • 2 Tbsp melted butter or margarine
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 3/4 cup granulated sugar
  • 1 large egg
Topping
  • 1/4 cup Turbinado sugar 

Procedures
  • Preheat oven to 350°F.   Spray a 9 inch cake pan with oil spray.
  • Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a bowl.
  • Add in all remaining ingredients except milk, mix until combined, gradually add milk, mixing to combine.
  • The batter will look similar to dough batter.  You will need spatula and fork to spread it over the pan
  • Dollop about half of the batter into the pan. use a spatula to spread it out. Dollop the apples over the dough, spread out about evenly. dollop the remaining batter over the apple mix. Use a fork to spread it around leaving some open areas. Make sure the batter is not any thicker in any areas than others.
  • Sprinkle the Turbinado sugar evenly over the top
  • Bake for about 35 minutes or until top is lightly browned. Edges will be browned before top browns
  • Remove from oven. Serve while warm.
 Servings: 8

Cooking Times
Preparation Time: 20 minutes
Cooking Time: 40 minutes
Nutrition Facts
Serving size: 1/8 of a recipe (3.7 ounces).
Nutrition information calculated from recipe ingredients.
Amount per Serving
Calories 275.57
Total Fat 7.39g
Saturated Fat 2.52g
Cholesterol 33.15mg
Sodium 263.95mg
Potassium 66.17mg
Total Carbohydrates 49.92g 1
Fiber 0.15g
Sugar 28.13g
Protein 1.35g
  
Notes

 Gluten Free Pantry French Bread Mix contains white rice flour, potato starch, corn starch, guar gum, granulated honey and salt. This mix is great for breakfast breads, so I often use it.

1 comment:

  1. My stomach is growling. I must make this in a non-gluten free version--Ha--easier for me to convert your recipes than for you to convert mine. :) Btw, it's ok to talk to yourself--just don't answer back.

    ReplyDelete