Monday, April 26, 2010

Apple Bread Pudding - gluten free

It is supposed to be Spring in Minnesota. Yet it has been cold and rainy for the past few days. This cold weather sends some of us back to the whirlwind of baking. Well, I will blame it on Cathy, AKA The Dutch Baker’s Daughter. She baked scrumptious looking Warm cinnamon rolls with orange cream cheese frosting and posted the picture on her Facebook page! I really tried to resist, but finally gave in and started baking. So thank you Cathy!

I do not seem to find time to do housework every day, but somehow, I find time to bake. That simply means, I have replaced working with baking. So nice to be retired!

First, I checked to see what was in the fridge that needed to be used as an ingredient or eaten as is. I had apples, yogurt and of course eggs and butter. Actually, I have too much yogurt, so some of it had to be put to a good use. Yogurt can be used in all kinds of dishes, so why not bread pudding. I started putting items on the counter; yogurt, eggs, butter, apples, sugar, cinnamon, vanilla powder, baking soda and baking powder. Then it was time to decide what gluten free mix of flour to use.

Before I understood anything about mixing different flours and starches, I bought several pre-mixed products. I prefer using individual flours, so the pre-mixes have been sitting in the pantry. Gluten Free Pantry products were the first that I tried and really liked. I still have a combination of boxes of chocolate cake, pie crust, coffeecake and French bread mix. The French bread mix is very versatile. I wasn’t planning on making pies, so I decided to use the pie crust mix to make bread pudding.

So now, my list of ingredients was completed with the Gluten Free Pantry Pie Crust Mix.
The texture of this dessert is very close to bread pudding. Originally, I planned apple bread, but it turned out to be bread pudding. I can say it is a very good bread pudding!
Printable copy
Apple Bread Pudding- Gluten Free
Ingredients
1 cup Gluten Free Pantry Pie Crust Mix
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup yogurt, plain low fat
1 tbsp Butter
2 tbsp Earth Balance Shortening
1/2 tsp Authentic Foods Vanilla powder
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1 large egg
2 cups cooked sweetened sliced apples or canned apple pie mix
Procedure
Preheat oven to 350°F.
Combine pie crust mix, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt. Set aside
Mix butter, shortening, sugar, egg and yogurt until fluffy..
Spray a loaf pan with oil spray. Pour about half of the batter into the pan, spread it out. Dollop half of the apples mix over the dough, using a fork to swirl into the batter. Repeat with the remaining batter and apple mix.
Bake for about 45 minutes or until tooth pick inserted in center comes out clean. Edges will be browned before pudding is done
Servings: 8
Cooking Times
Preparation Time: 20 minutes
Cooking Time: 45 - 50 minutes

Nutrition Facts
Serving size: 1/8 of a recipe
Nutrition information calculated from recipe ingredients.
Amount per Serving
Calories 261.81
Total Fat 5.35g
Saturated Fat 2.04g
Cholesterol 32.09mg
Sodium 333.21mg
Potassium 109.16mg
Total Carbohydrates 50.64g
Fiber 0.9g
Sugar 28.68g
Protein 3.49g

Notes
Gluten Free Pantry Pie Crust Mix contains white rice flour, potato starch, corn starch, guar gum, granulated honey and salt.
This could serve 10, if desired.

1 comment:

  1. Now don't be blaming me for this goodness! Funny thing is I was thinking of bread pudding, too. LOL You have some serious talent for this gluten free baking, Lee. I can almost taste it. I especially like the yogurt addition. You do what I like to do--clean out the fridge baking.

    ReplyDelete