Monday, April 19, 2010

Baking gluten free bread

Baking gluten free bread is like playing the lottery sometimes. You win some, you lose some.

Actually, I probably should not be baking bread. My doctor pulled out this graph of my weight fluctuations over the past ten years at my physical on Friday. It looked like the dive and rise the stock market took in the 90s. She goes “Your weight is going up.” I had to do some fast talking on that one. I mumbled well, I have been entering cooking contests and I do have to taste everything, but I have slowed down with the contests. Too bad the stock market is not performing like my weight gain. Let’s hope the market improves and my fluffiness declines.

My method is to try to improve on the last loaf. I write up a recipe with some of the good things included and go from there.

My previous loaf was more of a cottage style loaf. It was great for toast or with a bean soup. It did not fall apart when dipped in the soup.
I was out shopping the past week and saw golden flax seed meal and millet seeds. Of course, I bought a bag of each.

On Saturday, I combined all of the dry ingredients and decided, yet again, to add more nutrients. I added some of the flax seed and scrambled around googling for bread recipes that used millet seeds. Wasn’t sure if they should be soaked or not. There were two recipes that used the seeds, one soaked them and one did not. So I decided to just add a small amount, just in case they were quite crunchy.
As it turns out, they puff a little in the baking process.

Gluten Free Whole Grain Seed Bread

3 cups Pamela's Amazing Wheat Free & Gluten-free Bread Mix
2 tbsp Arrowhead Mills Organic Buckwheat flour
3 tbsp   teff flour
2 tbsp   quinoa flour
1 tbsp powdered milk
1 tbsp  flax seed meal
2 tbsp  Sunflower Seeds
1 tbsp   millet seeds
2 tsp Sugar
1 yeast packet or 2 1/4 tsp yeast
2 large eggs
1 tsp cider vinegar
3 tbsp Omaggio Grapeseed Oil
Warm water about 115°F (see instructions*)

Oven Baking:
Preheat oven to 350ยบ. Prepare a 8-inch x 4-inch bread pan
Combine the flours, milk, meal, seeds, sugar and yeast; shake in a container to combine. Pour the flour mix into the bowl of a stand mixer
*Pour the following into a 2 cup liquid measuring cup
Oil, eggs, cider vinegar and enough warm water to make 2 cups of liquid, plus 2 tbsp of water.
Add liquids to mixing bowl, and beat for three minutes on med/high. (Use the whisk, not the dough hook).
Pour batter into the prepared pan, set in a draft free area and let rise to top of pan.
Bake for 70 minutes. Remove from oven and let it sit about 10 minutes in the pan before removing to a rack to finish cooling. Slice and enjoy!



Yield: 1 loaf: Servings: 20

Cooking Times
Preparation Time: 20 minutes
Cooking Time: 1 hour and 10 minutes
Inactive Time: 45 minutes
Total Time: 2 hours and 25 minutes

Nutrition Facts
Serving size: 1/20 of a recipe (2.1 ounces).
Nutrition information calculated from recipe ingredients.

Amount per Serving
Calories 122.07
Total Fat 3.97g
Saturated Fat 0.43g
Cholesterol 21.22mg
Sodium 178.82mg
Potassium 39.77mg
Total Carbohydrates 20.33g
Fiber 2.52g
Sugar 6.1g
Protein 2.26g

No comments:

Post a Comment