Monday, June 21, 2010

Gluten Free Graham Crackers

This was my first attempt at making gluten free graham crackers.

There has never been a need for graham crackers as a snack for me, but they did come in handy for ‘no bake’ pie crusts. Over the past four years, I have improvised with oat crusts and other combinations of flours. The simplest crust could be made from   MI-DEL's ginger snaps  or MI-DEL'S cinnamon snaps.

Once I left my chocolate wafers on the cookie sheet after removing them from the oven too long. They worked just great as a black bottom pie crust for a banana pudding!

I searched and Googled for a gluten free graham cracker recipe. I finally decided to try one on livingwithout.com. I took their recipe and made my modifications as to flours I wanted to use. I also swapped out some of the brown sugar with Splenda Brown Sugar Blend for Baking.

One of the things I liked about this recipe was that it had some of the flours that I really like: sorghum, amaranth, millet, quinoa or oat flour.

First I checked to see which flours I had. I seem to use more oat, teff, tapioca and sorghum flour than the others.

Gluten-Free Graham Crackers
Ingredients
Dry Ingredients
1/2 cup Chickpea Flour or garbanzo flour
1/2 cup Tapioca Starch
1/2 cup Potato Starch
1/8 cup Millet Flour
1/8 cupAmaranth Flour
1/4 cup  Fine Brown Rice Flour
3/8 cup Sweet Rice Flour
1/8 cup Oat Flour
1/2 tsp Xanthan Gum
1/2 tsp GINGER, powdered
2 tsp Cinnamon
1 tsp Baking Powder, non aluminum
1/2tsp Baking Soda
1/2tsp Salt
1/8 cup Splenda brown Sugar Blend for Baking
1/4 cup brown Sugar
1/2 tsp Authentic Foods vanilla powder
Wet Ingredients
7 Tbsp butter, chopped into pieces
3 Tbsp Cold Water
3 Tbsp Agave Nectar

Procedures
Mix together Dry Ingredients.
Place butter into mixing bowl.

Work butter into dry ingredients with a fork or your fingers.


Stir in water, agave nectar. Add additional water if necessary, a teaspoon at a time.



Separate dough into two cellophane wrapped balls and refrigerate for at least 45 minutes.

Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
Cut four 9X13 inch pieces of parchment paper. Spread one ball out a bit on one piece. Cover with another other piece of paper and roll out evenly between the two pieces.
Carefully cut into 2 x 3-inch pieces and prick lightly all over with a fork. Remove the top paper.

Slide the paper with the crackers onto a 9X13 baking sheet.
Repeat Steps 4 and 5 with remainder of dough
Bake for 12 to 15 minutes or until golden brown. If they spread and bake together, re-cut while still warm and loosen them.


Slide the paper with crackers intact onto a wire rack to finish cooling

Servings: 36
Yield: MAKES ABOUT 3 DOZEN

Nutrition Facts
Serving size: 1/36 of a recipe (0.7 ounces).
Percent daily values based on the Reference Daily Intake (RDI) for a 2000 calorie diet.
Nutrition information calculated from recipe ingredients.

Amount Per Serving
Calories 69.42
Total Fat 2.43g
Saturated Fat 1.44g
Cholesterol 5.94mg
Sodium 62.06mg
Potassium 6.94mg
Total Carbohydrates 10.16g
Fiber 0.4g
Sugar 2.89g
Prot

2 comments:

  1. Wow...your own graham crackers! I'll bet they would make a mighty good s'more! Oops--I'm on Pete's google account...LOL

    ReplyDelete