Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Salt and Pepper to Taste - and awards

Everyone has seen the instructions in a recipe ‘season to taste’ or ‘salt and pepper to taste’. Well today, I made a pasta dish that I have made numerous times. I do not know where the recipe is or if I have ever had a recipe.

I had plans to make the dish that has a vinaigrette type sauce. It always has artichokes, sweet peppers, fresh tomatoes, basil, garlic and olives.

I took the cherry tomatoes out and sliced them in half, also sliced the small sweet peppers in rings. I added some Balsamic vinegar, olive oil, spices and a small amount of cider vinegar. I microwaved it for about 4 minutes.
This was about 2 cups of peppers and 3 cups of tomatoes with olive oil, Balsamic vinegar, Italian spice, fresh basil and freeze dried herb mix


Next, I measured out 2 servings (4 ounces) of pasta and added it to the boiling water to cook just to al dente.





I used a 6 ounce jar of artichokes  in olive oil. I drained and chopped them a bit.


After the pasta was cooked to perfection and drained, the artichokes were added to the pot and combined.

Next, added in the tomatoes and peppers.


After I mixed it all up - This makes about 4 servings.


Well a couple of days earlier, I tried my hands at baking a loaf of packaged Italian Bread in the bread machine. It wasn’t quite the texture I liked, so I decided to make garlic cheese bread with it.

I added garlic butter (real garlic in olive oil), basil parmesan cheese and a little crumbled Feta cheese.

Baked it in the oven on 375F until browned.


Well, now that I have a meal, time to serve it up.


As I have said, season to taste!

And now a



Shout Out
to my fellow bloggers

I want to thank Cathy from The Dutch Baker’s Daughter (great food--give it a click) for giving me this:




I received this Blogger Award from Cathy – The Dutch Baker’s Daughter.
In order to accept I must:
1. Thank the person who presented the award, and link to their blog in this post--thanks, again, Cathy!
2. Copy and paste the award image (see above).
3. Share seven things about yourself (below);
4. Pass on the award to fifteen other fabulous blogs, and let them know that they have received the award (below).

Seven random things about me:

1. I was born in Arkansas and consider myself to be a permanent Minnesota transplant.
2. My first job that paid a regular paycheck was as a long-distance operator. Remember Ernestine, the telephone operator character of Lily Tomlin: Have I Reached the Party to Whom I Am Speaking?
3. My major in college was Business admin. Couldn’t get a job that paid much in the 70’s in Finance so I went back to U of MN – Twin cities for System Analysis and Design, from there into the title of Software Engineer for the next 25 years!
4. Between high school and college, I took 4 years of French. At the time, I could read it, understand it, and conjugate the verbs better than I could in English. Now, I remember very little of it.
5. A few years ago, while visiting a friend and driving up the winding road to Mt Rainier, classical music was playing the entire time. I jokingly said ‘elevator music’. Well, Linda said it’s very relaxing in traffic. After returning home, decided to try it. I am now a classical freak. I love all Italian Tenors, especially Pavarotti.
6. I have travelled over the US on business and vacation. One of the lesser reasons for leaving one job and moving back to Minnesota was the constant travel. After not doing it, I began to miss it.
7. I have only travelled out of the USA to one country: Canada – many times – love the Country!

Now to thank the Academy!
1. To Cathy from The Dutch Baker’s Daughter , I met you over on Mixing Bowl and you inspired me to write my blog. Finally got a chance to meet a fellow Minnesotan who CAN COOK!
2. To Danielle from Cooking for my Peace of Mind ---Great recipes. Great Facebook Fan page.
3. Sheryle over at Cookie Baker’s Corner - Great site – I am the cookie monster and I love seeing new recipes that I can snag to try to convert.
4. Like Cathy, I believe Shane’s blog belongs in the "sisterhood", he has so many great recipes that I have tried to duplicate at Culinary Alchemy . The latest was his Zucchini Cookies –yum!
5. Another great site (a fellow MBer) is Homesteading in Maine. This is written about a family doing what they call ‘living on the grid. Lots of tips, recipes, overall very good blog
6. Serendipity is another blog that I follow for the food and stories. Great food and great stories.

I have to start following more blogs, couldn’t come up with 15 blogging Sisters!

No comments:

Post a Comment