Sunday, June 5, 2011

Baking with Dried Fruits - Healthy or Just Delicious?

I decided to use some of the dried fruits just sitting in the pantry. Normally, I use dried fruits for making nutrition bars or granola or just eating. So I will be clearing the pantry, baking cookies, biscuits (scones), muffins and bread. Of course I always add some to trail mix.
One benefit of dried fruit is the fiber. Nothing better than a “natural” good-tasting laxative!
There are a few bloggers and health nuts who just love throwing nuts and dried fruits in a food processor and calling it dessert. Well, I may just be one of those nuts too!

I whipped up this tasty biscuit mix late one night. Mixed it up and baked it the next morning.


The result was enough dough for about 12 biscuits..I called my final product: Fruits-Nuts-Flax Savory Biscuits 

ProcedureI dumped the fruit, nuts and a little flour and into a food processer and pulsed away.  No need to measure, just decide how much fruit and nuts you want to use and add enough flour to un-gum it!


I added in an egg, some kefir, and oil. Didn't have any buttermilk, so improvised.   Using a wooden spoon, I stirred the mix, adding water as needed to get the right dough consistency. Kefir loses its probiotic properties when heated.







A spatula and wooden spoon is needed to get the biscuit shaped mound on a parchment paper covered baking sheet. .




Decided to make some mini biscuits too, so I added a tablespoon or two of additional water to half of the dough to loosen it up  And of course, I had to spray the mini muffin pan with an oil spray.
Dolloped the dough into the mini muffin pan, using tines of a fork to spread it out.


Final count: 6 biscuits and 12 mini biscuits.



Actually they came out quite good... So now to try to figure out measurements and re-make so I can add  a kitchen tested recipe to the cookbook.


Even added in a few Brazil nuts to my trail mix.

No comments:

Post a Comment