Sunday, June 26, 2011

Sweet Pepper-Artichoke-Chicken Stir Fry with Black Bean Spaghetti

Saturday morning was rainy and I had just washed the vehicle the day before.  I used that as the excuse to look into the refrigerator vegetable bin to see what I could make a meal with.   Usually, I have bellas, peppers and spinach.  No spinach this time, just bellas and  a bag of multicolor small peppers.

Pasta is my favorite food, sans tomatoes…  I do not really like tomatoes in anything except soup. That is probably the reason that I do not like Mexican rice or red clam chowder.  I add tomatoes to pasta sauce when I make it, because tomatoes are supposed to be good for you.   The pasta sauce is usually loaded with bellas, eggplant, peppers, and garlic.  It tends to be more of a vegetable dish rather than a sauce.

My  stir fry skillet was almost done and I was still debating what to serve it with. 

I was thinking mashed potatoes, rice, penne or some of that quinoa ‘garden pagodas’ pasta.   As I was looking thru my stash of gluten-free pasta, saw the black bean spaghetti. 


This was one of those impulse purchases.  It was a new item over at TailorMade Nutrition, our local gluten-free grocery store.  They also have items free of the top 8 allergens.  I was willing to try it, because I like beans and it was not made of rice.

So I decided to cook the black bean spaghetti.  I figured that if it was bland, I could cover it up with the stir fry.   As it turns out, it is really good, not mushy either!   So this impulse purchase was a good one.

I was chopping and mixing and cooking, putting this dish together without tasting or even a recipe as a guide.  I figured that it would be good, because it had my favorite foods in it; peppers, bellas and garlic.

I always get everything out on the counter (or stove top) to make sure I do not omit anything.

So here goes my dish….






Sweet Pepper –Artichoke-Chicken Stir Fry with Black Bean Spaghetti
Ingredients
5 cups sliced multi-color sweet peppers
4 cups cubed cooked chicken (used meat only from 10 chicken thighs)
2 large roasted red pepper in oil (about 1 cup)
6 to 8 roasted garlic cloves in olive oil, drained
2 cups cooked sliced baby bellas, drained
1 tbsp basil pesto
1 tsp basil herb blend (from tube in vegetable refrigerated section)
1 12 oz jar artichoke hearts, drained
7 oz package Black bean spaghetti
1 tbsp oil for sautéing

Procedures
1. Spray a large cast iron skillet with olive oil.  Add the roasted pepper and garlic. Break up the roasted pepper and garlic with a wooden spoon.  Add the peppers, basil, pesto and bouillon as the skillet cooks.  Stir and sauté on high for about 3 minutes.  Stir in the mushrooms, continue cooking.   Turn the heat to low.





2. Heat the water for the pasta to boiling.  Add the pasta to the boiling water.

3. Add the cubed chicken and drained artichoke hearts to the skillet.  Use the wooden spoon to slightly break-up the artichoke hearts, mixing as the skillet cooks.  Allow the chicken and artichokes to get hot before removing from the heat.






4. When the pasta is done, rinse in cold water, drain.

5. Serve pasta with a serving of Pasta Chicken Stir Fry


Add a sprinkle of ginger oner the pasta, if beans are an issue.



 Servings: 6 to 8

Nutrition Facts - for 8 servings
Nutrition (per serving): 362 calories, 11.7g total fat, 3g monounsaturated fat, 1.5g polyunsaturated fat, 2g saturated fat, 53mg cholesterol, 374.6mg sodium, 1605.8mg potassium, 28.4g carbohydrates, 6g fiber, 22.4g net carbohydrates, 0g starch, 6.8g sugar, 35.5g protein, 2.7mg iron, 83.2mcg folate, 113.3mg vitamin c, <1mg vitamin b6, 18.3mcg vitamin b12, 16.4mg niacin, 0mcg lycopene, 2.1g aspartic acid.

Nutrition Facts - for 6 servings
Nutrition (per serving): 483 calories, 15.6g total fat, 4g monounsaturated fat, 2g polyunsaturated fat, 2.7g saturated fat, 70.7mg cholesterol, 499.5mg sodium, 2141.1mg potassium, 37.8g carbohydrates, 8g fiber, 29.9g net carbohydrates, 0g starch, 9g sugar, 47.4g protein, 3.5mg iron, 110.9mcg folate, 151mg vitamin c, 1mg vitamin b6, 24.4mcg vitamin b12, 21.8mg niacin, 0mcg lycopene, 2.8g aspartic acid.


Those small peppers have lots of fiber, so this dish is very filling.

No comments:

Post a Comment