Friday, June 24, 2011

What’s for Breakfast? – Pancakes????, uh sort of…

Last Friday night, I set out the ingredients for buckwheat pancakes, because I planned to make pancakes for breakfast the next morning. 


Well, I got started late and couldn’t seem to find the time to pull out the griddle and cook them, and it was getting rather late for breakfast.

Buckwheat flour makes the best pancakes! The only thing is they will get a strong taste if there are left-overs.

I mixed up my usual mix for buckwheat pancakes, but remembered that there was a half banana wrapped in cellophane in the refrigerator. Out came the banana and into the pancake mix bowl…

I like fluffy pancakes, so I added in some dry milk powder to fluff it up. So here goes how I mixed it up. By now, I had decided I would just bake the pancakes. I figured the best way to bake them was in a muffin tin……thus pancake muffins.

This is just one simple way to make breakfast when living gluten-free without a lot of fuss!

If you have a banana that is too ripe and do not plan to make banana bread, it works well added to almost any baked item that uses flour. Just add it in and enjoy the little bit of additional flavor.

Usually after all of the holiday baking, I have little bits of mini chocolate candy bars, chocolate chips, toasted oats, chopped nuts, crushed coconut, etc. I used to just add everything to a bar cookie. Well, I discovered that I could mix up some of those same ingredients and make a topping to have ready when needed. The topping on the muffins is a little bit of my topping mix.

Normally, you do not need xanthan or guar gum for buckwheat flour, but feel free to add 1/4th tsp. The banana also acts as a bit of ‘glue’.




Buckwheat Pancake Muffins
Ingredients
2/3 cup buckwheat flour
1/3 cup all-purpose gluten-free mix  (or a combination of potato starch, sorghum, rice flour, OK to use self-rising)
1 tbsp dried milk powder
1 tsp baking powder(additional, if using self-rising, otherwise, 2 tsp )
1/2 banana
3 tbsp Grapeseed oil (or canola, olive, etc)
1 egg
1/4 cup water
1 tbsp finely chopped walnuts (or 1 T any topping mix you like)
2 tsp sweetener of choice, optional

Procedures
This is best mixed with a hand mixer.
1. Combine the flours, baking powder and banana and mix to incorporate the banana.
2. Mix in the oil and egg, add water as needed.

3. Scrape the batter into an oil sprayed 6-muffin pan. Sprinkle the chopped nuts (or topping) over the muffins



4. Bake in pre-heated oven at 350F for about 20 to 25 minutes until edges lightly browned or toothpick inserted comes out clean.



5. Serve warm, plain or with your favorite jam, jelly, spreads or syrup.


Makes 6 muffins

Nutrition Facts (as prepared)
Nutrition (per serving): 167 calories, 9.2g total fat, 1.7g monounsaturated fat, 5.6g polyunsaturated fat, 0g trans fatty acids, 1.2g saturated fat, 35.6mg cholesterol, 113mg sodium, 195.2mg potassium, 19.1g carbohydrates, 2.2g fiber, 16.8g net carbohydrates, 1.1g starch, 3.7g sugar, <1g sugar alcohols, 3.9g protein, <1mg iron, 17.3mcg folate, 1.8mg vitamin c, 2.9IU vitamin d, <1mg vitamin b6, <1mcg vitamin b12, 1mg niacin, 0mcg lycopene, <1g aspartic acid.



Finally around noon, I decided to eat some cottage cheese with fruit after deciding to bake the pancakes as muffins.  

Cinnamon perks up cottage cheese and it is reputed to be beneficial to our health.

Besides using it in cooking, cinnamon is also thought to have health benefits.
In traditional Chinese medicine, Cassia cinnamon is used for colds, flatulence, nausea, diarrhea, and painful menstrual periods. It's also believed to improve energy, vitality, and circulation and be particularly useful for people who tend to feel hot in their upper body but have cold feet.


By the time the ‘muffins’ were done, I was ready to eat one. They came out fluffy and quite tasty!

Plain

A little Chocolate Nut Butter 
Buttery spread


Easy, wasn’t it?    Buckwheat absorbs a lot of liquid and will dry out sooner than some flours.  So eat them within two days of baking.   I doubt they will last that long

1 comment:

  1. You are so creative! I've been having some flops lately, so no recent posts from me. :) I love the idea of pancake muffins. This would be an easy weekend idea for Pete, my MIL, and me. We are semi-empty nesters, now.

    ReplyDelete