Monday, July 25, 2011

Science Project - Hot Cocoa Microwave Cake (Gluten Free Option)

The weather was so nice today; after a week of extremely high temperatures and storms.
First AM, I mixed up a loaf of bread and covered it to let it rise. Next, I remembered my green tomatoes, so I fried up those and enjoyed a few. I then baked my Italian Spiced Salmon and finally, it was science project time.
I was on a baking roll because the weather was so nice today. Last week, I only turned the oven on once and a burner maybe three times. I did not want to heat the house up, just in case we had a brown-out.
Remember those science projects that everyone had to do in school? Well, I don’t think any of those were as good as this one.
I bought some ‘premium quality’ hot cocoa that has sugar, so I do not drink it as much as I do with the sugar-free kind. So, hmm, I thought, let’s try making a cake with it…
Microwave ‘cakes’ or ‘brownies are so easy and quick to make. A quick small dessert can be made in 15 minutes. Since it is small, there is no temptation to go back for ‘seconds’ and ‘thirds’. Actually this cake could be cut into 4 servings as the pieces would be ‘brownie’ size.
clip_image002


Hot Cocoa Microwave Cake (Gluten Free Option)
Dry Ingredients
2 packets hot chocolate mix (use a premium brand)
1/4 cup quinoa flour
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp vanilla powder or 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 tsp baking powder
1/8 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cocoa, optional
Liquids
2 tsp oil
2 tbsp liquid egg white product
2 tbsp hot water
Topping (optional):
1 tbsp peanut butter chips





Procedures

1. Whisk dry ingredients together, mix in egg and oil, mix in hot water.
clip_image004

2. Spray a 4 inch round glass flat dish with oil spray.
3. Scrape the batter into the dish
4. Top with your favorite chips if desired.
clip_image006


5. Microwave on high 80 to 85 seconds (that’s 1 minute, 20 seconds) depending on your microwave. Microwave used was 1100 watts.
clip_image008

6. Frost, if desired
clip_image010

Servings: 2


Nutrition Facts
Nutrition (per serving): 295 calories, 13.1g total fat, <1g monounsaturated fat, 3.2g polyunsaturated fat, 0g trans fatty acids, 6.4g saturated fat, 2.5mg cholesterol, 295.8mg sodium, 65.7mg potassium, 41.6g carbohydrates, 5.6g fiber, 36.1g net carbohydrates, 22.1g sugar, 7.1g protein, <1mg iron, <1mcg folate, <1mg vitamin c, 0IU vitamin d, 0mg vitamin b6, 0mcg vitamin b12, <1mg niacin, <1mcg lycopene, <1g aspartic acid, <1g glutamic acid.



Tips
If you like coffee, add a pinch of instant coffee to the dry ingredients


Notes
I am a cocoa junkie, so I added an additional tsp of cocoa. Quinoa has a stronger flavor, making it suitable for chocolate.

This post was loaded using Windows Live Writer!

No comments:

Post a Comment