Sunday, August 28, 2011

Cheese Rolls using a Gluten-Free Bread Mix


I had a sample bag of The Twisted Bakery Gluten Free White Bread and Bun Mix from about  two months ago, thanks to Tailor Made Nutrition
Tailor Made Nutrition has Super Sample Saturdays with different vendors giving samples of their new products.  It is usually held between 11:00 am and 3:00 pm.  Of course, I can never make it before 3:00 pm.   Finally, one Saturday, I made a real effort to get there before everyone left.  I got there about 10 minutes to 3, but everyone had already left.  I inquired about the vendors and said that I had tried to get there, but missed everyone.  Well, they had a couple of bread mix samples left, so I got one of them.
I have been thinking about what I could make with the mix, before it went rancid.  Finally, I remembered converting  a cheese roll to gluten-free on the then MixingBowl.com.  Cant' find the recipe since the site reorganized - will have to find it and come back to update this.

Basically, I followed the instructions on the package.  I didn’t think there was enough mix in the sample to make 12 dinner-size rolls, so I added in 1/4 cup of my whole-grain mix to extend it.                                
 Cheese Rolls – GF
Cheese bun - lets eat one















Ingredients
1    bag    The Twisted Bakery Gluten Free White Bread and Bun Mix(16oz)
1/4  cups   gluten free whole grain flour
1/4  tsp.    active dry yeast
3/4  cups   warm water (100° to 110°)
1/3  tsp.    Cider Vinegar
1           egg
2    tbsp.   vegetable oil
1/3  cup    finely chopped garlic flavored white cheddar cheese
            olive oil for spraying the tops of rolls


Procedures

Chop the cheese into small pieces.  This hasn’t been chopped yet.

Garlic White Cheddar b4 chopping B

Place all ingredients, except cheese in a bowl of a stand mixer and beat for 2 minutes. 

Cheese bun - Beating the batter

Drop the cheese in during the last 15 seconds and continue beating.

Dough ready to put in pan B


Grease the cups of a muffin pan with shortening.  Divide the dough among the cups.  Use a wet spatula with the extra water shaken off to smooth the tops as much as you like them...

Dough ready smooth B

Lightly Spray tops with canola or olive oil. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 45 minutes.

rolls rising B

ready for the oven

Dough ready to bake B

Bake at 375° for 15-18 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove to wire racks.

rolls out of the oven B

Serve warm.

Rolls served B

Servings : 12
Nutrition (calculated from recipe ingredients)
Calories: 152
Calories From Fat: 56
Total Fat: 6.2g
Cholesterol: 36mg
Sodium: 159.8mg
Potassium: 20.6mg
Carbohydrates: 20.2g
Fiber: <1g
Sugar: 2.2g
Protein: 2.6g

This mix makes a fluffy role, very similar to the rolls as I remember them.
Tips
For more cheesy taste, increase the cheese by 2 tablespoons.  Don’t over do it or it may not rise as much.

2 comments:

  1. tomorrow I will try to make for my 2 lovable kids they look great! I love cheese.
    Erecipe.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I see where Danny Klecko from the St.Agnes Baking Co., is making a Dutch Quick Bread at the fair. I asked for the recipe, since it appears that I won't see him make it. It is basically a quick bread that has Gouda cheese mixed in. Now I see your cheese rolls and I really want to make a cheese bread...

    ReplyDelete