Friday, August 12, 2011

Dark Chocolate Rice Krispies Bars- Gluten Free



First of all, I had never made rice krispie bars until today. I have never liked them. Whenever they showed up at office ‘goodie days’, I just waited a few minutes before going near where they had been, because I knew someone would eat all of them and I would not have to lie and say they were just scrumptious. 


Today I decided to make Rice Krispie Bars with the new Kellogg's Gluten Free Rice Krispies, while one of my sisters was over. As it turns out, I had never made them and she had never made them.


 Well, I got out some butter, weighed the marshmallows because I was taking them from two bags. When, I had melted the butter and it was a little too hot, let it cool a little.    I asked Imogene if she wanted to stir the marshmallows in. She was having a hard time getting them smooth, so I got my hard spatula and we both were stirring it. I kept joking about both of us ‘stirring the pot’.


I had a bag of dark chocolate buttons on the counter top and thought chocolate might improve on the rice krispie bars. I asked Imogene if she thought I should drop some chocolate chips in. She thought that would be a good idea. I didn’t measure, just poured. We agreed that I had added enough.


I decided I did not want to have to scrape anything off a baking sheet, so I used parchment paper to cover the pan.


After everything was all smoothed out, I dropped in the rice krispies,  stirred them together, then we quickly spread it out over the parchment paper.


I estimated that I added about 1 1/2 cups Ghirardelli 60% cocoa chocolate buttons. I bought those at King Arthur Flour some time ago. I buy chocolate chips in larger than store-shelf quantity and divide them into food vacuum-sealed bags. The extra bags go in the freezer until I need one of the bags.


Afterwards, we made a quick lunch and sort of forgot about the rice krispies bars.
Then, it was time to decide how much I would keep and how much Imogene would take with her.


So Imogene started cutting and I grabbed the first corner and started eating it. I decided that I would take the uneven corners and she would take the remainder.


Of course when you are mixing up rice krispie bars, you can’t stop and take pictures, or you will have one big glob.


To get a printable copy with my modifications:


So here is what they looked like as Imogene was cutting them up.
clip_image002


I used the recipe from the back of the box and modified it slightly......


clip_image004


The recipe doesn’t use the whole box.


clip_image006


Based on the ingredients, I used with recipe cut into 16 pieces


clip_image008
Nutrition Facts
Nutrition (per serving): 157 calories, 5.4g total fat, <1g monounsaturated fat, <1g polyunsaturated fat, 0g trans fatty acids, 3g saturated fat, 5.7mg cholesterol, 85.7mg sodium, 35.3mg potassium, 28.4g carbohydrates, <1g fiber, 27.5g net carbohydrates, 27g starch, 13.2g sugar, 1.8g protein, 1.7mg iron, 75.3mcg folate, 1.5mg vitamin c, 2.3IU vitamin d, 1.1mg vitamin b6, 1.1mcg vitamin b12, 1.9mg niacin, 0mcg lycopene, <1g aspartic acid, <1g glutamic acid.




So thanks to Kelloggs, everyone can eat Rice Krispies Bars

No comments:

Post a Comment