Thursday, October 20, 2011

Stepped-Up Citrus-Flavored Cupcakes - Gluten-Free Option


I have a couple boxes of yellow gluten free cake mix that have been around since summer.  I am sure I only bought them because I got a ‘good deal’ on them, because I prefer  to bake from “scratch”.  I also had half a box, because I had attempted 6 cupcakes before.  Apparently they were not impressive, because I do not remember what I may have added to the batter.

I was in the kitchen trying to make some raisin bread.  The dough didn’t appear to rise after 30 minutes, so I warmed the oven and put it in.  Well, it started rising in the oven.  I also decided to use the temperature method to determine when it was done. I checked at 50 minutes and it was 180 F.  I guessed that another 10 to 15 minutes would be required to get to 200 F. 


I needed to find something to do while waiting, so I got the half box and  changed the amounts and flavoring on the fly.  I wanted orange flavor, but had no orange juice.  I thought maybe a combination of orange and lemon extracts would do it, so I added some of each.

This batter thickens up really fast, so just keep beating for at least a minute.

 These are my modifications.

To make the entire box, double everything except the half and half.  Work with doing 3/4ths and adding a little more until you get the consistency you desire.  Feel free to use all butter instead of part coconut oil.


Stepped-Up Citrus-Flavored Cupcakes
Stepped-up Cupcake - on display B


Ingredients
1/2 box gluten free yellow cake mix (7.5 oz.)
2 eggs
2 tbsp butter
1 tbsp coconut oil
3 tbsp cream cheese
1/2 tsp lemon extract
1/2 tsp orange extract
1/2 cup fat-free half and half
Frosting - optional1/4 container  prepared vanilla frosting
1/4 tsp lemon extract
1/2 tsp orange extract


Procedures
1. Melt coconut oil
2. Beat eggs, butter, coconut oil, cream cheese and extracts until fluffy, beat in cake mix, along with half and half until blended. Beat an additional 30 seconds.  If additional liquid is needed, add it by the teaspoonful.
3. Divide batter among a 6-tin  paper lined cupcake pan.
4. Bake in preheated oven for about 20 minutes until edges are lightly browned and toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
5. Remove from oven, remove from cupcake pan.
6. Cool and optionally frost.

Stepped-Up Cupcakes B

Stepped-up Cupcake - a bite out B
Moist and the citrus flavor comes through
Stepped-up Cupcake - yum B


Servings: 6


Nutrition FactsNutrition (per serving): 324 calories, 13.7g total fat, 3.5g monounsaturated fat, 2g polyunsaturated fat, <1g linoleic acid, 7.2g saturated fat, 89.7mg cholesterol, 46.2g carbohydrates, 0g fiber, 46.2g net carbohydrates, 27.6g sugar, 0mg stigmasterol, 0g starch, <1g fructose, <1g galactose, <1g glucose, <1g sucrose, <1g maltose, 109.9mg sodium, 81.5mg potassium, 4g protein, <1mg iron, 35.8mg calcium, 305.7IU vitamin a, <1mg vitamin b6, <1mcg vitamin b12, 5.8IU vitamin d, 3.2mcg vitamin k, 6.1mcg selenium, <1mg thiamin, <1mg zinc.

No comments:

Post a Comment