Saturday, November 26, 2011

Thanksgiving Dinner sans Turkey, Dressing, Pumpkin or Sweet Potato Pie

This year, I decided that I did not want the usual Thanksgiving meal.   No Turkey, no dressing/stuffing, no candied yams, no pumpkin/sweet potato pie….

My dinner came out as a simple meal fit for any day of the week…

Thanksgiving Dinner 11-24-2011 served B

Originally, I planned to cook a pork roast, but never went to the store to buy one.  Finally, I decided to just cook a normal meal.   I had a couple recipes I was developing and didn’t want to spend time thinking about Thanksgiving dinner..

I had two packages of ribs in the freezer, left from when my sister, brother-in-law and brother came to visit about a month ago. They aren’t very large packages, so I took one out to be thawed.
I used the kitchen shears to cut into smaller pieces and sprinkled my usual spicy mix over them.  I love spicy food, so there is definitely some garlic and cayenne in there!

Then, my thought was ‘what should I fix to go with the ribs?’.  Lately, I haven’t been really into cooking like I used to really like doing.  I also had just bought a bag of Klondike Gold Dust potatoes, so that meant potatoes of some kind.  Well, baked potato fries won out.

 Whole Foods Market has unsalted, no additives frozen potatoes that I really like. Since I did not have any, I sliced up some of the potatoes and baked them

Fries B

One thing I did not want was to have lots of left-overs, so I cooked accordingly.  Made a couple of desserts…

Well, the two recipes came out good, will make again for proofing.

Double Chocolate Banana Cupcakes
Double Chocolate Banana Cupcakes - bite me B

Double Chocolate Banana Cupcakes - yumm II smlr B

Tropical Pudding Cake
Tropical Pudding Cake - served B

I had left-over Pork n Beans Style Baked Beans in the freezer, so I thawed and microwaved those.
The day was a very relaxing, no fuss day.   I tried to get some of the year-end tasks done, like going over year-end donations and holiday cards.

I even made Banana pancakes for breakfast!  I made them on Wednesday and they were so good, made them again on Thanksgiving.  Served up with additional bananas and blueberry syrup.

Banana Pancakes - from a  GF mix - served B

I  had a pleasant uneventful day.  Hoping everyone else enjoyed their day.

No comments:

Post a Comment