Monday, November 21, 2011

When Apple met Banana, Hi-maize natural fiber observed the rendezvous


It’s apple season, but I still like bananas!.  This is the first banana bread this year… 

Amazing that I have not made any  banana bread this year at all.  Guess I have been too busy making frozen fruit smoothies using all of my bananas, that I hadn’t noticed I had not made bread.

I have a couple of banana bread recipes that I have made several times: Gluten-Free Banana Bread and Gluten-Free Banana Bread with Spices, so I decided to just modify one a bit and add in some apples.  I was also a bit surprised that I had not done a blog post for banana bread.   I decided to ‘healthify’ the Gluten-Free Banana Bread  recipe by adding more fiber.

So many gluten-free flour mixes do not have much fiber in them, so I mix my own.  I always used whole wheat flour, prior to having to go gluten-free, so I try to add as much fiber without having the result taste like straw!

I purchased Gluten-Free 101 by Carol Fenster as my first gluten-free book of any kind.  This book has great information for anyone just diagnosed with gluten-intolerance and needs to know what to eat or how to bake gluten-free.

I used Carol’s sorghum Flour Blend numerous times.  Now I add millet and brown rice to add in more fiber along with more protein. The sorghum mix is a perfect substitution for any mix needing more fiber.  KAF also has a whole-grain mix, which can  replace the flour mix in this recipe.  I ordered a package with my last order from KAF.

So often you will see a recipe listing ‘parts’, so I came up with my interpretation to make my mix, that I use for almost anything except tender cakes. I literally interpreted ‘part’ to mean ‘cup’ when making 2 cups of mix, so it works for me. This mix can be varied depending on what the final product will be or to your own taste.

This combination results in 2 cups of mix (2 parts).*
 1/2 part brown rice
1/2 part millet or teff
1/4 part sorghum
1/4 part chickpea  or garbanzo
1/4 part potato starch
1/8 part tapioca starch
-- also add -
2 tbsp non-fat milk powder  or buttermilk powder
2 tsp baking powder (non-aluminum)
1/2 tsp ginger powder (if using bean flour)


Sometimes, I add rice bran or flaxseed meal to add fiber.  I had used high maize natural fiber before becoming gluten-free, so was very happy to see King Arthur Flour now sells it, produced in a gluten-free facility. Now that I have tried it in gluten-free baking, I will increase the amount next time.
Delicious, soft and full of flavor!


Banana Apple Bread - on display B

Banana  Apple Bread  - Gluten Free with added fiber
(Le Pain de Pomme de banane - sans gluten avec la fibre supplémentaire)


Dry Ingredients
2 cups Whole Grain flour Mix - Self-Rising (example above*  or any self-rising mix)
2 tbsp hi-maize natural fiber ( or any other fiber or bran)
1/2 tsp vanilla powder
1/4 tsp double acting baking powder (non-aluminum low sodium)
1/2 tsp baking soda

Wet ingredients
1/4 cup Splenda Brown Sugar Blend for Baking ( or 1/2 c sugar)
1/4 cup Honey
1 egg
1/3 cup fat free Greek yogurt (5 tbsp+1 tsp)
1 tsp banana extract (or lemon or almond)
2 tbsp buttery spread (or 60% or more vegetable oil spread), softened

Liquids
2 tbsp milk, plus more if needed
Add Ins

1 large ripe banana, mashed and whisked (3.5 oz. peeled)
1 small apple, peeled, cored and chopped (about 1/2 cup)
Procedures


. Gather all of your ingredients together, prepared
  • Whisk the Dry Ingredients together, set aside
  • Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.  Spray with oil spray or grease three(3) small (5- inch) loaf pans
Banana Apple Bread - all ingredients ready to be mixed B
Mix the wet ingredients with a mixer until thoroughly blended. Be sure to scrape the bowl while blending
Banana Apple Bread - wet ingredients - ready to mix B
  • Stir in the Add Ins using a wooden spoon.
Banana Apple Bread - mixed - ready for dry ingredients B
  • Add in the Dry Ingredients and milk, stirring with the wooden spoon only until mixed. If additional liquid is needed add more milk by teaspoons at a time.
Banana Apple Bread - mixed - gradually add Dry Ingredients B
  • Divide the the batter among the pans.   Slightly  smooth top of each loaf.
Banana Apple Bread - mixed - ready for oven B
  • Bake for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
  • Place on the 2nd rack from the bottom, spread out so each pan is evenly heated
Banana Apple Bread - just in the oven B
  • These are a little extra browned at 40 minutes, yet, not over cooked. Ok to remove 5 minutes earlier
Banana Apple Bread - just out of the oven B
  • Cool completely on a wire rack, or the bread could get soggy.
Banana Apple Bread - Cooling it B
  • Serve plain or with a little butter or spread
Banana Apple Bread - served B

Servings: approximately 16

Yield: 3  5 1/2 X 3 1/2 inch loaves


Nutrition Facts as prepared
Nutrition (per serving): 109 calories, 2.1g total fat, <1g monounsaturated fat, <1g polyunsaturated fat, <1g linoleic acid, <1g saturated fat, 13.6mg cholesterol, 20.9g carbohydrates, 2.1g fiber, 18.8g net carbohydrates, 7.4g sugar, 0mg stigmasterol, <1g starch, 3.1g fructose, <1g galactose, 2.6g glucose, <1g sucrose, <1g maltose, 119.7mg sodium, 99.7mg potassium, 2.6g protein, <1mg iron, 63mg calcium, 48.2IU vitamin a, <1mg vitamin b6, <1mcg vitamin b12, 1.9IU vitamin d, <1mcg vitamin k, 1.6mcg selenium, <1mg thiamin, <1mg zinc.

Tips
If you do not use a high fiber blend, you may need to reduce liquids

1 comment:

  1. Yum--I like the banana/apple combo. I might give that a try in the Dutch Bundt cake I need to make for my sister. :)

    ReplyDelete