Sunday, November 27, 2011

Who doesn’t love freshly baked gluten-free biscuits?


My mother baked from scratch, so our daily bread was either biscuits, yeast rolls or corn bread.


I came from a very large family with just one brother.  So you can imagine how he got the brunt of the girl’s jokes and teasing.   He figured out at a very early age that he had apparatus that he could use, if we did not leave him alone…  I remember when he was around 2 years old, when he seized the only option he had to stop us teasing him.  He reached in his pants to get his super soaker and of course we made tracks in the opposite direction. 


It’s funny how you remember the things that happened when growing up. Back then they may not have seemed so funny, but now they are fond memories.


Of course, when I was in college, sharing an apartment with about four other young women, we bought canned biscuits.  They were never like those we baked at home.


All of the girls in my family learned to bake biscuits very early.  We learned to basically cook, because the person cooking, did not have to clean up afterwards!


Usually, I bake about 6 biscuits and warm one when I want one for breakfast.  I had none in the fridge, so I had to decide what kind to bake today.  As I was going thru my cookbook, I saw a recipe for Paula Deen’s Sour cream Butter Biscuits and decided to attempt to make them gluten free.  Well, I discovered that I did not have sour cream, so decided to just use 0% Greek yogurt instead.  The idea of the biscuits is a very good one when you have all the ingredients.  I had to add some liquid because there was no fat (liquid) in the substituted 0% yogurt.   But they came out tasty!


Paula Deen’s original recipe is here:Paula Deen's Sour Cream Butter Biscuits


This is my version made today.   I need to get the sour cream so I can make it just like Paula!  Hopefully Paula doesn’t get upset that I snagged her idea.  That Paula can cook!


Paula Deen's Sour Cream Biscuits B


My version of Paula Deen's Sour Cream Butter Biscuits - gluten free


Ingredients


3/4 cup gluten free whole grain self-rising mix
1/4 cup tapioca flour
3 tbsp butter flavored Spectrum shortening (or butter)
4 tbsp 0% Greek Yogurt 
1/4 cup water



Procedure


  • Combine all ingredients. A wire whisk works fine for mixing in the shortening.  Use a wooden spoon or your food service gloved hands to work the ingredients entirely.
  • Shape into biscuits on a parchment paper covered baking sheet or place into a greased muffin tin
  • Preheat oven to 400F
  • Bake for 20 - 30 minutes

  •  Serve with your favorite spread



Paula Deen's Sour Cream Biscuits -served B


Yield: 4 to 6


Nutrition Facts (per biscuit, based on 5 biscuits)
Nutrition (per serving): 157 calories, 7.4g total fat, 1.9g monounsaturated fat, <1g polyunsaturated fat, <1g linoleic acid, 4.4g saturated fat, 18.5mg cholesterol, 20.1g carbohydrates, 1.5g fiber, 18.6g net carbohydrates, 1.3g sugar, 0mg stigmasterol, <1g starch, <1g fructose, <1g galactose, <1g glucose, <1g sucrose, <1g maltose, 69.6mg sodium, 55.9mg potassium, 2.9g protein, 65.2mg calcium, 237IU vitamin a, <1mg vitamin b6, <1mcg vitamin b12, <1mg vitamin c, <1mg vitamin e, <1mcg vitamin k, <1mg iron, <1g lysine, <1mcg selenium, <1mg thiamin, <1mg zinc.

1 comment:

  1. These look great. Will definitely give them a try.

    ReplyDelete