Saturday, February 11, 2012

‘Kicked Up A Notch’ Corn Muffins Anyone? - Roasted Red Pepper Hummus Corn Muffins

First off, these are not your grandma’s corn muffins. I can’t even remember my grand mother’s corn bread.   Just taking a phrase a` Lagasse.

Plain corn muffins are just so “back in the day”! My corn muffins were plain until I had to re-learn baking about 6 years ago.

When I first started out trying to bake gluten-free, there were flops, disasters and some garbage can fills.
Once I got a good corn muffin, I began spicing it up. So often, I will start with the intent to make one thing and end up making something else.  You see, I have the time to play with food!  I also retired 3 years ago!
I found a Roasted Red Pepper Hummus that I really like.  But as with anything, I cannot eat all of it before it would turn green, even when I buy the small size!

Last year, one day before trash pick-up, I was checking the fridge to see what needed to be tossed and discovered an unopened container of hummus.  Since I had made salsa corn muffins, I thought - why not hummus muffins? I made them on the fly and promptly lost the scratch paper I wrote the recipe on.

So today, I decided to make 6 muffins, so I measured out the dry mix and winged it on the other.   I found a cayenne infused oil at Target that I really like.  Only a small amount can be used in any recipe.  It is their brand. The fiery oil gives the corn muffins some of the flavor.

This is great as a breakfast or brunch muffin.  They are light and fluffy.

Roasted Red Pepper Hummus Corn Muffins (Gluten-Free Option)


Roasted Red Pepper Hummus Corn Muffins


Ingredients


Dry Ingredients
3/4 cup stone ground yellow cornmeal
6 Tbsp Tapioca Flour
1 1/4 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp ginger powder
1 tbsp sugar


Wet Ingredients

2 large eggs
1/4 cup sour cream
1 1/2 Tbsp oil
1 tsp Fiery canola oil (an oil infused with cayenne pepper)
1/3 cup roasted red pepper hummus (used Sabra)


Procedure
Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit
Spray a 6 muffin pan with an oil spray or use cupcake papers
Whisk together Dry Ingredients and set aside.
Beat eggs, sour cream, oils and hummus until smooth. Gradually beat in Dry Ingredients. Beat until smooth.
If the mix is a little too thick, add water, a teaspoon at a time.
Divide batter among the prepared muffin pan cups.
Bake in pre-heated oven about 25 minutes or until tops are browned.

Serve warm or hot.

Roasted Red Pepper Hummus Corn Muffins - yum

Servings: 6

Nutrition (per muffin): 202 calories, 9.9g total fat, 3g monounsaturated fat, 3.7g polyunsaturated fat, <1g linoleic acid, 2.5g saturated fat, 74.7mg cholesterol, 24.5g carbohydrates, 2g fiber, 22.6g net carbohydrates, 2.3g sugar, <1mg stigmasterol, <1g fructose, <1g galactose, <1g glucose, <1g sucrose, <1g maltose, 162.2mg sodium, 125.8mg potassium, 5.2g protein, 103.4mg calcium, 190.2IU vitamin a, <1mg vitamin b6, <1mcg vitamin b12, <1mg vitamin c, 5.8IU vitamin d, 1.4mg vitamin e, <1mcg vitamin k, 1.6mg iron, <1g lysine, 0mcg lycopene, 6.1mg phytosterols, 8.2mcg selenium, <1mg thiamin, <1mg zinc.

Tips and Notes

The Fiery canola oil gives the corn muffin that little extra taste. It is a must!
This recipe has only been tested with whole grain yellow corn meal.

No comments:

Post a Comment