As it has been said before, I am a chocoholic, preferring to use cocoa, rather than prepared chocolate. I have even gone as far to use cacao nibs to get yet more intense cacao flavor. Cacao nibs have more intense flavor that takes some getting used to.
When deciding which sweet treats I prefer, basically cookies win hands down! As I get older, my taste buds have changed a bit, as I prefer something with a little more texture than pies and tender cakes. Even cake muffins tend to be a bit more ‘substantial’ than the cupcake. Although, I love other cupcake or muffin flavors, I seem to migrate to adding even a small amount of chocolate flavor to ‘sweet treats’.
I have a few boxes of gluten-free mixes in my pantry and am finally getting around to using them.
When preparing half-box of mix that states 12 muffins, be prepared to need more than 6 when adding other ingredients. The best way to be prepared is to always use a 12-cup muffin pan. If the batter fits into 6, perfect! If not, then you have room to grow. I always take out the 12-cup muffin pan, no matter how many the recipe yields.
As I was developing another recipe, I added a couple tablespoons of cocoa to the recipe and discovered that I also like the ‘mocha’ taste. As I was trying to decide what to add to this box of muffin mix, the mocha idea popped into my head. Light bulb! Mocha used here simply means a ‘light’ cocoa taste.
I just love those Ghirardelli Double Chocolate Chocolate Chips, so of course I am adding a few, even to a ‘mocha’ sweet treat! The large chips give the batter a lumpy look, so use a toothpick to slightly smooth them a bit by twirling the toothpick to push any chips down into the batter.
This recipe has never been doubled by using the whole box. Since an additional 1/4 cup of ‘flour’ is being added, an additional 1/4 tsp baking powder may be desired for a higher rise.
Enjoy as this mix is a little different from others.
Mocha Chocolate Chip Muffins
- 1/2 (16-oz. box) gluten-free yellow muffin mix (used King Arthur Flour1)
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 3 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- 6 pkts. Pure Via Stevia ( or 4 tbsp sugar equivalent)
- 2 eggs
- 3 tbsp coconut oil (or 70% fat (or higher) buttery spread )
- 1/3 cup unsweetened almond milk (or milk of your choice)
- 1/3 cup Ghirardelli Double Chocolate Chips, Bittersweet (or your choice).
- Measure the muffin mix, weigh it, if necessary. Whisk cocoa, cake mix and cinnamon together.
- Melt coconut oil.
- Beat eggs, coconut oil and extract until fluffy, beat in cake mix, milk until blended. Beat about an additional 30 seconds, just until the batter begins to thicken. Fold in chocolate chips.
- Cover the cupcake pan with cupcake papers. Spoon the batter evenly into the prepared cupcake pan.
- Bake in preheated oven for about 18 to 20 minutes until top lightly pressed spring back or toothpick inserted in center comes out with small crumbs. Do not over-cook!
- Remove from oven, remove from cupcake pan to wire rack with papers intact. Allow to cool and optionally frost
Yield: 8 cupcakes
Nutrition Facts - as preparedNutrition (per muffin): 285 calories, 13.2g total fat, <1g monounsaturated fat, <1g polyunsaturated fat, 0g trans fatty acids, 0g trans-monoenoic fatty acids, 6.2g saturated fat, 52.9mg cholesterol, 298.5mg sodium, 23.9mg calcium, 25.4mg potassium, 8.2mcg folate, 24mg phosphorus, 4.4mg phytosterols, <1mcg lycopene, 4mcg selenium, <1mg thiamin, <1mcg vitamin b12, <1mg vitamin b6, <1mg vitamin c, 4.4IU vitamin d, 1.4mg zinc, 53.1g carbohydrates, 17.5g fiber, 35.6g net carbohydrates, 16.7g sugar, <1g fructose, <1g glucose, <1g sucrose, <1g maltose, 6.7g protein, 5.2mg caffeine.
1Ingredients as stated on the box: Sugar, rice flour, modified potato starch, inulin, modified tapioca starch, tapioca starch, emulsifier (rice starch, polyglycerol esters of fatty acids, mono and diglycerides of fatty acids), leavening (sodium acid pyrophosphate, sodium bicarbonate, cornstarch, monocalcium phosphate), natural vanilla flavor, salt, guar gum, xanthan gum, nutmeg
© 2012 retiredwithnoregrets.blogspot.com