Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Easy Meals - No Crust Eggplant Portabella "Pizza"

Easy, quick, reduced carbs/sodium/sugar and gluten-free are the requirements I work with when planning meals. Not saying I want it to taste like cardboard either!

I like to cook, but I don’t really like to cook. How I like to cook is have somewhat of a plan of making a meal with ingredients I have decided to eat.

I am always craving pizza, but just can’t see myself eating lots of carb loaded pizza crust now.  Maybe I could do that when I was a twenty-something, but not now. My metabolism has changed over the past two years quite a bit. So to keep enjoying ‘treats’, I have to re-formulate them.  I have a little fun sometimes just pulling out the mixer, cocoa or chocolate and saying “I’m making brownies or a cake”.

For some reason, whenever I am in the grocery store, I look at the eggplant and portabellas. If I see a good looking eggplant, I will buy one. Then It goes in the vegetable bin. Then I have to decide what to do with it.  Most of the time, it’s grilled or sautéed and served on the side.  I am sort of worn out adding it to baked pasta, so I was planning on just making Eggplant Parmigianino.  As I began to think about it, and how complicated it would be…., so thought why not just add pizza ingredients and layer it so it would hold together like pizza?

Well it works and it is delicious! 

No Crust Eggplant Portabella  "Pizza"

Crustless Eggplant Portabella Deep Dish Pizza - Display
Ingredients

  • 2 large unpeeled eggplant, sliced 1-inch rounds
  • 4 large Portabella caps, grilled or sautéed, julienne cut
  • 3 large basil leaves, broken into 2 inch pieces (or 2 tbsp dried)
  • 1/2 cup onions, thinly sliced in rings
  • 2 tbsp olive oil
  • 1 tbsp sodium-free Herb and Onion mix (Mrs. Dash)
  • 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese freshly grated
  • 2 oz Swiss cheese, sliced, julienne cut
  • 2 oz Colby Jack cheese, sliced julienne cut
  • 1/4 cup Parmesan Cheese, shredded (real refrigerated cheese)
  • 6 to 8 large cherry tomatoes, halves
Procedures
  • Spread the olive oil over a 13-inch casserole baking dish or deep rimmed baking pan.
  • Spread eggplant to cover the bottom. there will be little spaces in between… that’s ok
  • Spread the grated Parmesan cheese over the eggplant.
  • Scatter half of portabella strips over the eggplant. Spread remaining eggplant on dish. Place remaining portabella strips. Separate onion rings and scatter over top.
  • Place julienned cheese strips over dish.
  • Space the halved tomatoes over the dish.
  • Sprinkle spices over dish. Scatter the basil over the dish
  • Carefully pour the water along the sides of the dish. Gently tilt the dish side to side to spread water over bottom of dish. It will evaporate thru cooking and reduce the amount of oil needed to cook eggplant.


Crustless Eggplant Portabella Deep Dish Pizza - oven ready


  • Cover with foil and bake at 350F for 30 minutes. Remove cover, bake about additional 20 minutes until cheese begins to brown.
  • Sprinkle the shredded Parmesan cheese evenly over the dish.
  • Return to oven for about 5 minutes or until cheese has melted.
  • Remove from oven; allow to sit for 5 minutes.  Using a hard rubber spatula, go around the dish freeing any sides that may be sticking to the dish. 
  •  Carefully cut into 6 pieces.
  • Serve hot or at room temperature.

Crustless Eggplant Portabella Deep Dish Pizza - serving
Servings: 6

Nutrition Facts
Nutrition (per serving): 194 calories, 13.1g total fat, 5.6g monounsaturated fat, <1g polyunsaturated fat, 5.7g saturated fat, 25mg cholesterol, 211.9mg sodium, 247mg calcium, 512.3mg potassium, 35.2mcg folate, 242.4mg phosphorus, 16.7mg phytosterols, 0mcg lycopene, 12.2mcg selenium, <1mg thiamin, <1mcg vitamin b12, <1mg vitamin b6, 9.2mg vitamin c, 4.2IU vitamin d, 1.5mg zinc, 10.2g carbohydrates, 4.1g fiber, 6.2g net carbohydrates, 2.6g sugar, <1g fructose, <1g galactose, <1g glucose, <1g lactose, <1g maltose, <1g sucrose, 11g protein.

Tips
Add any other toppings like red or green peppers or pepperoni

© 2012 retiredwithnoregrets.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment