Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Almond Milk - Easy To Make With No Additional Ingredients

I have seen several posts about making ‘nut’ milks, but never thought about making one until I read a post by  Healthy Blender Recipes .

I do not have one of those higher-priced blenders or food processors, so It probably took me longer to make it.  I used a Ninja 1100. I did not want a large quantity, just wanted to see how easy and how it tasted compared to the grocery store version.

I simply soaked 1 1/2 cups natural almonds for about 4 hours.  I had to put them in hot water to get the skins removed.   I used blanched almonds, whereas some use the whole almond.

I didn’t want any bacteria growing in the almond milk in case I kept it more than two days, so I boiled some water to use, even sterilized the container I planned to use.

Along with the 1 1/2 cups blanched almonds, I added 3 1/2 cups water and 1/4 tsp Kosher salt. I did not add any flavoring.

Almond milk - ready to refrigerate

It was strained using a coffee filter fitted in a strainer.  The solids  were returned to the Ninja and pulsed again about 2 minutes to finish pulverizing the remains. It was strained again to remove any additional liquid.  Either I did not have cheese cloth or simply could not find it.

After making the almond milk and straining it, had to decide what to do with the remaining solids.The remaining solids were more like ricotta cheese.

Almond milk solid remains 3

Well, decided to substitute some for part of the flour in a chocolate chip cookie.  Mis-measured and added 1/2 cup instead of 1/4 cup, so the cookies came out very soft like a muffin. Finally, I added 1/4 cup chopped walnuts and a cup of oatmeal that I ran thru the food processor.
After trial and error, ended up with a chocolate chip breakfast cookie.  

Almond milk solid remains - added to cookie

Since I used palm shortening, I needed to shape the cookie before freezing the extras as the shortening goes solid when cold.

Almond milk solid remains -  freezing cookies

Pure palm shortening is like coconut oil without the coconut taste. It is sold mostly online and is shelf stable like coconut oil.  This is not the white container seen on most grocery stores.  The only ingredient in it is palm oil.

I also used some of the almond milk in a smoothie.  This is great for those who want ‘milk’, but aren’t supposed to have calcium early in the day.

Don’t you just love frozen smoothies? Would you believe there is even some broccoli in there?

Almond milk - added to smoothie

Basically the remaining solids do not have much taste.  So just use in muffins, cookies or smoothies because there is still some nutrition and fiber left.


© 2012 retiredwithnoregrets.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment