Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Tis The Season For Baking - Gluten Free Sour Dough Bread

Now that there is so much better gluten free bread on the market than when I went gluten free in 2006, I have gotten lazy about baking a loaf of bread.

I still miss that 12-grain whole wheat bread.  I may miss it, but I will never eat it again.  You see, I know that the gluten proteins  makes me feel like my intestines are exploding and a wild animal is trying to exit from my body from both ends. 

No, I will not eat a little to see if it still makes me sick.  A few times over the past 5 years, I have accidently eaten something that apparently was processed with the wheat family and was cross contaminated.  I suffered those times so bad that I will no longer buy anything that says processed with wheat.  Some of those products have a gluten free label.  For me, it’s about not being sick all of the time.

Now that I have spewed on about why I can no longer eat foods containing the protein gluten….on to how I decided to bake a loaf of sourdough bread.

For some reason a couple weeks ago, I walked in the kitchen, looked over at the bread machine and decided to make a loaf of bread.  I quickly threw it together and for some reason, the bread machine seemed to not heat as hot as it had been doing, because the loaf rose, but there was no regular dome.  It was flat as if I had leveled it off with a knife.  It tasted good, it had a good sourdough taste, because I had added a bit of sour salt aka citric acid.  That got me to thinking about making sourdough bread.

I have seen several of my blogger friends doing sourdough starters and baking bread, but had not seen any for gluten free sourdough starters. 
Well, there is the big ole web and I ‘Googled’ and ‘Binged’ away and found one on   Red Star Yeast .  But as it turns out, I already had one similar in my cookbook software.

This is the loaf as it came out of the oven.  I was in a hurry to eat a piece, that I didn’t let it cool and of course one end drooped!  

It is light and fluffy when completely cooled.

Gluten-Free Sourdough Bread

I sliced a little slit before putting it in the oven, hoping it would not split !

Gluten-Free Sourdough Bread - ready for oven

 

Gluten-Free Sourdough Bread

 

Ingredients

Dry Ingredients:

3 cups Gluten Free Pantry French Bread and Pizza Mix (or a similar mix)

2 tsp xanthan gum

1/2 tsp ginger powder

1/2 tsp ascorbic acid

1 ½ tsp pectin

3/4 tsp citric acid (ok to omit if Ricotta cheese has citric acid)

3 Tbsp sugar

1 tsp salt

Liquids:

1 2/3 cups warm water

3/4 cup Sour Dough Starter *

3/4 cup ricotta cheese

3 1/2 Tbsp grape seed oil (may substitute 4 tbsp butter)

3 eggs lightly beaten

1 Tbsp active dry yeast

 

Procedure

Gluten-Free Sourdough Bread  - ingredients

 

Whisk together all Dry Ingredients

 

Whisk eggs to break them up, whisk in water and oil, and pour into stand mixer bowl.  Add remaining wet ingredients. Start mixer on low and allow mixing a few seconds.  Gradually add the combined dry ingredients into the running mixer.  While still on low, scrape down the sides of the mixing bowl to get all of the flour mixed in.

 

 Gluten-Free Sourdough Bread  - starting the process

 

Gluten-Free Sourdough Bread 2013 - Dough mixing

 

Turn mixer to medium speed and beat for 3 minutes.

Generously grease a 9x5 loaf baking pan/dish with shortening

 

Once the batter has finished mixing, scrape it into the prepared baking pan/dish.  Cover and let it rise to double about 1 hour or more.

 

Gluten-Free Sourdough Bread  - ready for rising

 

Gluten-Free Sourdough Bread  - rising

 

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Bake 45-50 min in absolute middle of oven. Bread should be a nice brown color.  Turn off oven and let it sit in oven 5 minutes.  Remove from oven, using a spatula; slide it along the sides to loosen the areas that may be stuck. Gently shake the dish/pan to see if the bread has loosened from all sides and bottom.  Turn out of the dish on the side, letting it cool on a wire rack.  Allow cooling completely before slicing

 

Servings: 20

Yield: 1 large loaf

 

Nutrition (per serving): 155 calories, 3.6g total fat, 1.1g monounsaturated fat, <1g polyunsaturated fat, 0g trans fatty acids, <1g linoleic acid, <1g alpha linolenic acid, 2g saturated fat, 39.9mg cholesterol, 245.2mg sodium, 31.4mg calcium, 40.4mg potassium, 22.5mcg folate, 44.5mg phosphorus, <1mg phytosterols, 0mcg lycopene, 4.6mcg selenium, <1mg thiamin, <1mcg vitamin b12, <1mg vitamin b6, <1mg vitamin c, 2.6IU vitamin d, <1mg zinc, 26.6g carbohydrates, <1g fiber, 26g net carbohydrates, 2g sugar, <1g fructose, <1g galactose, <1g glucose, <1g lactose, <1g maltose, <1g sucrose, 0mg stigmasterol, 2.5g protein.

 

Of course I didn’t wait until it cooled, had to have a piece!

 

Gluten-Free Sourdough Bread  - sampling

 

 

My sourdough starter is the same as the one from *Red Star Yeast Sourdough Starter.

 

Gluten-Free Sourdough starter

 

Gluten-Free Sourdough starter

 

 

And now to keep it active and make bread!

 

 

 


© 2013 http://retiredwithnoregrets.blogspot.com/

1 comment:

  1. This bread looks beautiful!!! I have a close friend who just recently discovered that she has celiac. I think she needs this recipe. My daughter would love it too! not that she has to be gluten free but she feels better when she is :)

    ReplyDelete