Monday, January 10, 2011

Breakfasts

Since I retired, I have begun to fall into the ‘stay up late’, sleep late syndrome. That means I am missing eating breakfast at a normal time. My first meal is usually around 11:30 or noon.

I was advised to eat more protein at breakfast, but that is a bit difficult for me because the ‘meat’ protein that I like is not the healthiest meat. Of course, I love bacon (loaded with sodium), those little brown and eat breakfast sausages (loaded with sodium). Often it’s a quick Eggbeaters’ egg and a glass of water with my meds!

There is an interesting article Healthy Eating Planner: 31 Days of Superfoods that really makes sense for all meals. Most of the things on the list are in my meals. Of course, I do not eat wheat or beef! I like all of their Superfoods, including the dark chocolate.
Lemons, Broccoli, Dark chocolate, Potatoes, Salmon, Walnuts, Avocado, Garlic, Spinach, and Beans

Another great article is on the Anti-inflammatory Diet: Anti-inflammatory Foods. Most of us could use it, because it removes most refined products (white sugar, white rice, pasta, cookies (on no!)) from the diet. Can’t give up the cookies; just have to work on making sure they have some good nutrition along with the ‘fillers’. The “diet” includes “spicing it up”, which is normal for me.
According to the article, the anti-inflammatory diet is probably very close to the Mediterranean diet, which avoids processed foods.

I made a recipe from Betty Crocker: Baked Apple Oatmeal that is very good! The original recipe is for 8 servings so I scaled it to 4 servings. This is a good-size serving and very filling. The recipe said to top with the walnuts. I added them in. I peeled half of the apple because I don’t really like apple peel on some apples. The unpeeled apple is just fine. My recommendation is not to peel the apple. I used a sweet red apple (not red delicious), probably McIntosh.

If you can get the kiddies to sit for breakfast, make this for them and use the old-fashioned oat meal as stated!.

This is how I prepared it:

Baked Apple Oatmeal
1 1/3 cups old-fashioned oats
1/3 cup raisins
2 cups milk 2%
2 tbsp Brown or Turbinado Sugar
1 tbsp honey
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 medium apple, chopped (approximately 2 cups)
1/4 cup chopped walnuts


1. Heat oven to 350°F. In  large casserole, mix all ingredients.

2. Bake uncovered 40 to 45 minutes or until most liquid is absorbed. Serve with additional milk, if desired.





Yield: Makes 4 large servings

Nutrition Facts
Nutrition (per serving): 303 calories, 9.3g total fat, 2g monounsaturated fat, 4.2g polyunsaturated fat, 0g trans fatty acids, 2.3g saturated fat, 9.8mg cholesterol, 52.1mg sodium, 344.9mg potassium, 49.8g carbohydrates, 4.7g fiber, 45g net carbohydrates, 1g starch, 28.1g sugar, 9g protein, 1mg iron.

If you are watching sugar, substitute 1 tbsp Splenda Brown Sugar Blend or 2 tbsp Granulated Stevia(In the Raw). 



Remember the Sweet Potato Muffin Top Biscuits? Well, I baked them as biscuit muffins. I added a little extra water to thin the batter to cake batter consistency. Of course, you can add another tablespoon of sugar or honey. They were baked in a 6-cup muffin pan at 350F.



No comments:

Post a Comment