Friday, June 4, 2010

Sautéed Kale Salad Topped with Toasted Pine Nuts and Romano Cheese

It is always an exciting stop at the St Paul Whole Foods Store to see what new produce is available. Of course, I always buy more produce than I intended to or could eat in a week. On my last trip, I intended to buy kale, but arrived home without it. So I stopped by the neighborhood Cub and bought a couple of bunches. I washed and dried it and of course, it found its resting place in the vegetable bin. I had no clue what do to with it. I have always wanted to cook kale without even knowing what it tasted like!

I really like to sauté greens in a little olive oil and garlic, but I wanted to do more with these greens. After looking at different ways of sautéing collards, spinach and kale, decided to just go for it. I did my usual method of deciding what the main ingredient was, then deciding what type of dish to make, then deciding on the seasonings.

Three spices or condiments that I like are garlic, pine nuts and Kraft Zesty Italian Salad Dressing. With all ingredients on countertop, I started preparing the dish. This is quite a simple dish, yet delicious and loaded with nutrients.

So, here's to a "Let' eat the vegetables"!


Sautéed Kale Salad Topped with Toasted Pine Nuts and Romano Cheese

Ingredients
2 bunches kale, washed, stripped from stems and torn into pieces
1 tbsp olive oil for sautéing
1 tsp Mrs. Dash Original Mix
1/2 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp garlic powder or 1 clove garlic, minced
2 tbsp bottled Kraft Zesty Italian Salad Dressing
2 tablespoons toasted pine nuts
2 tablespoons shredded Romano Cheese
Procedures
Roast the pine nuts in an iron skillet until they become fragrant.  If you use them often, make a batch and refrigerate them for later use.
Heat the oil in a large iron skillet on medium. Sauté the garlic for about 2 minutes, do not brown or burn. Add the kale and turn the heat to high. Stir and move the kale from top to bottom of the skillet as it cooks. Cook until the kale is tender, about 8 minutes. If you have the tougher leaves, cook until just tender, not soggy.
Stir in the Italian Dressing and continue to cook on medium for about 2 minutes.
Plate it for 2 entrees or 4 sides.
Evenly divide the toasted pine nuts and shredded Romano Cheese over the top of the plates.


Nutrients per serving for 2 servings
Calories 284.84
Total Fat 16.17g
Saturated Fat 2.61g
Cholesterol 5mg
Sodium 381.86mg
Potassium 1266.46mg
Total Carbohydrates 29.54g
Fiber 5.9g
Sugar 0.49g
Protein 12.28g
Amount Per Serving for 4 servings
Calories 142.42
Total Fat 8.09g
Saturated Fat 1.3g
Cholesterol 2.5mg
Sodium 190.93mg
Potassium 633.23mg
Total Carbohydrates 14.77g
Fiber 2.95g
Sugar 0.25g
Protein 6.14g

No comments:

Post a Comment