Thursday, March 17, 2011

American - Pretending to be Irish for A Day

Well, today is St. Patrick’s Day and everyone is all “greened up”.  Of course green is not the only Irish color.   I am like most of my family and friends; we are all Irish on St. Patrick’s Day and return to our normal selves the day after.

I don’t really like the traditional American Corned Beef and Cabbage meal, but will fix it about every four or five years.

Last week while grocery shopping, I saw some nicely trimmed (and shaped) corned beef briskets. I looked at them and walked away about three times before deciding to buy about a two-pounder. I figured I would just bake it and make sandwiches. So it went into the freezer.

On Monday, I started thinking about what to cook this week and remembered that I had the corned beef brisket. I started checking my recipes to see if I had anything other than just plain brisket, cabbage and potatoes. So on to web searching for different recipes…..and of course I wanted one with a picture. Don’t you just hate recipes without pictures?

I found a recipe for Corned Beef and Cabbage Rolls on Whole Foods Market’s website that I thought I would take a stab at.

I didn’t really pay much attention to the recipe per se. I had all of the ingredients I wanted to use, so I really just looked at how to roll the cabbage leaves. I didn’t notice that the recipe uses Savoy cabbage leaves rather than the ones I had pulled off  my green cabbage and was steaming! Well, as it turned out, my leaves required 2 leaves to make a roll, so I only got about 4 cabbage rolls.

Through all of my peeling (no tater skins for me!), cleaning/washing and slicing, the meal turned out ok.
By the time everything was done, I was done too! So much work for a meal. Now I remember why I make quick dishes like mixed vegetable risotto and Mexican Inspired ‘Lasagna’. Those are a lot easier to make and don’t stay in one’s system two days!

So, I hope everyone had a great St. Patrick’s Day, even if you become just a plain ol citizen after it’s over with. :-)
My pictures of how I prepared everything.
Just before going in the oven

My leaves were just a bit small for making the rolls.



Of course, I had to cook the corned beef first. Found this nice looking brisket. I was braising it first, so the fat side is down first.


I gathered up some veggies to add after the meat cooked a little. Used some green and red cabbage, potatoes and carrots. Only had baby carrots, so in they went.

I covered and let it cook for about 20 minutes, then stirred moving top to bottom so everything would cook.
I was so busy cooking, forgot to take pictures after everything cooked and I removed some of the brisket to make the cabbage rolls.

This pot of vegetables would make a nice dish even without the meat.

I am now stuffed and do not want to see corned beef for at least another 5 years. Basically, I am very happy if I do not have any meat.  Nothing against eating meat, I just feel so stuffed for a few days even with a small amount.  Now, mention dark chocolate...... that's a whole 'nother' story....

Tomorrow’s meal: Caramelized Garlic and Mixed Vegetable Risotto. Love that garlic!

2 comments:

  1. Yummy! My MIL and I would be the only ones eating this, so I have to be ready to make several meals if I'm going to do it. I think I might try it after Easter (Pete had given up meat), because I'm sure he'll try it.

    ReplyDelete