Monday, July 19, 2010

UN-Chocolate ‘Brownie’ Gone Viral – ‘Borrowed’ and Converted to Gluten Free

I have never wanted to make blondies because I love chocolate so much. Well, this blondie looked so good, that I decided to try to convert it to gluten free.

I have made all kinds of chocolate brownies, and there is probably no kind that I haven’t made gluten free. I have gone nutso making multi-layered chocolate brownies, almond butter, peanut butter, coconut, cream cheese, mint and even black and pinto bean brownies.

This UN-Chocolate ‘Brownie’ is so good, that I will not post the nutrition information, so someone else will try it. It is so good, I feel a little guilty eating it.

When I look at the scale next week and say “pounds, pounds go away, come back another day”, I know I am going to hear “shouda thought of that when you were eating the big piece of blondie!”

I borrowed the recipe from The Dutch Baker's Daughter and I believe she borrowed it from Culinary Alchemy. So this dessert has been baked a few times by several people.

Famous words:  Try it - you will like it


Blondies - The UN-Chocolate 'Brownie' GF
3/4 cup Unsalted Butter
1 1/2 cup Light Brown Sugar
1/2 cup Dark brown Sugar
1 Large eggs
2 large egg yolks
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1 1/4 cups gluten free flour mix  ( a rice blend works fine)
1/2 tsp xanthan gum
1/2 tsp Authentic Foods Vanilla Powder
2 tsp Baking Powder
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp Kosher Salt
1 cup Chopped Pecans
1/4 cup Heath Toffee Chips (optional)

I like to get all things ready and set aside
Line a 13x9 pan with parchment.
Combine the GF flour mix, xanthan gum, cinnamon, vanilla powder, baking powder and salt in a lidded container and shake to mix. Set aside
Whisk eggs and yolks together with Vanilla extract.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees

Melt butter In a sauce pan on low heat. Stir in the brown sugars, stirring until " just melted and blended' and the mixture just begins to bubble (This is similar to making a Pecan pie).
Pour in the eggs in a steady stream, while whisking constantly to prevent scrambling.

Fold Flour mixture into the egg mixture.


Fold in Pecans and toffee chips (if using)



Spread into the pan.

Bake 35-40 minutes (5 minutes less for dark pans). Gluten free goods may take a little longer check with toothpick after 30 minutes.

Remove from oven.

Slide it out of the pan by pulling the parchment onto a rack on top of a cutting board to cool. Once cooled, slide the rack from under the parchment paper and cut into 20 pieces.

Servings: 20

Cooking Times
Preparation Time: 20 minutes
Cooking Time: 30 to 35 minutes

1 comment:

  1. I love blondies!! I don't think there's a "bakespacer" who hasn't tried them! I'm so glad you were able to make a gluten free version. They look great!

    ReplyDelete