Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Easy Meals - Spicy Pinto Bean, Corn and Ham Soup

Crock Pots, slow cookers and even cast iron Dutch ovens work for making soups or stews.
When I was growing up, we just had a big old enameled pot that held lots of soup, beans or even ‘macaroni’.  We had macaroni noodles with tomatoes and sometimes beef stew meat.  That was one dish, I really liked then.  I will probably never make it now.  I remember when one of my sisters couldn’t say ‘macaroni’ and would call it ‘wackawoni’.


Although I try to cook for two, I always make a full crock pot of brown beans when I make them.  It is so much easier to freeze and thaw than to cook them when you want them.  When I had beans at home, most of the time they were great northern  with ’fat back’ or ‘salt pork’.  Most of the time there is no meat in my beans.  If I have pork shank or ham, I add a small amount. Only when I really am making bean  and ham soup, do I add  meat other than for seasoning.

I made this recipe by accident about two years ago.  One of my sisters came by and I looked in the fridge to figure out what to fix for lunch.  I had about a half-cup of beans  and half-cup of corn.  I put them in a small pot, dropped a small amount of ketchup and some cubed ham.  That was the quickest lunch I had made, so it became a keeper.

Normally, I add diced chili peppers, but this time decided to use salsa which is milder.

Spicy Pinto Bean, Corn and Ham Soup
Spicy Corn, Bean and Ham Soup - all ingredients added, time to simmer

Ingredients

3 cups pinto beans, cooked, seasoned, including any juice
2 cups ham, cooked, cubed
1 12-oz bag  frozen corn
1 15-oz can  diced tomatoes
1/2 cup medium heat red salsa
1 tsp ginger, ground
1 tsp fresh ginger, finely ground (used Gourmet fresh ginger in a tube)
1/2 cup water (if beans have no juice)

Procedure


Place beans in a large crock pot.
Add ham, juice from tomatoes.

Spicy Corn, Bean and Ham Soup

Puree the tomatoes in a food processor until chopped. Add tomatoes to crockpot.
Microwave corn according to package and add to crockpot.
Add salsa to crockpot.

Spicy Corn, Bean and Ham Soup - adding the corn

Stir to mix. Set crock pot to low.

Allow to cook 2 hours, occasionally stirring..


Serve hot
Spicy Corn, Bean and Ham Soup - served II

with a corn muffin

GF Corm Muffins

Servings: 6
Yield: makes 6 to 8 servings
Nutrition Facts
Nutrition (per serving): 267 calories, 3.6g total fat, 1.4g monounsaturated fat, <1g polyunsaturated fat, 1g saturated fat, 25.7mg cholesterol, 39.3g carbohydrates, 10.9g fiber, 28.4g net carbohydrates, 5.9g sugar, 13g starch, <1g fructose, <1g galactose, <1g glucose, 1.5g sucrose, <1g maltose, 1077.7mg sodium, 644.9mg potassium, 21.7g protein, 47mg calcium, 201.1IU vitamin a, <1mg vitamin b6, <1mcg vitamin b12, 9.6mg vitamin c, 0IU vitamin d, 1mg vitamin e, 3.2mcg vitamin k, 3.1mg iron, 1.6g lysine, 17.7mcg selenium, <1mg thiamin, 2.3mg zinc, 0mg caffeine.



Pinto Beans
Pinto beans with ham -ready

No comments:

Post a Comment