This wasn’t really a recipe, but since it appeared on the Facebook Fan page, just thought I would give the ingredients.
This makes a very pretty dish with all of the yellow, red and green color!
I just can not get enough sweet peppers, carrots and those microwave mixed vegetables packets! The more vegetables you add, the healthier it is! Watch out for very high sodium sausages too.
Sausage, Mixed Vegetables, Carrots, Sweet Peppers and Rice
6 oz. Bistro Sensations Spinach with Mozzarella Cooked Chicken Sausage (or any other cooked sausage)
1 12-ounce pkg. mixed vegetables (corn, carrots, peas, green beans)
2 cups sweet peppers, julienne cut
1 cup baby carrots, julienne cut
1/4 tsp Cumin, Ground
1/2 tsp dried herb mix (thyme, marjoram, basil, pepper, etc.) - used Mrs. Dash
1 cup Wild and Basmati Rice blend, uncooked - used Trader Joe's 1
1 tbsp Canola Harvest Margarine
2 cups water (for rice)
- Slice sausage into thin slices.
- Julienne cut baby carrots and peppers.
- Add rice to a medium sized pot as the skillet is cooking. Add water according to package, plus the margarine. Cook at a simmer according to package. This rice takes about 15 minutes, the amount of time to cook the remainder of the meal.
- According to package, let rice rest 5 minutes. Fluff rice with a fork when done.
- Microwave the frozen vegetables according to package, as you begin to heat skillet.
- Place about a teaspoon olive oil in an iron skillet, heat to medium heat.
- Add carrots and peppers to skillet. Sauté about 2 minutes on high, reduce heat.
- Add vegetable packet to skillet. Stir to mix.
- Add sausage to skillet, stir to mix and cook until sausage is heated.
- Serve Vegetable/sausage over rice or mix together and serve
Servings: 4 to 6
Nutrition info based on nutrition taken from back of packages entered into Living Cookbook Software.
Nutrition (per serving for 4): 296 calories, 7g total fat, 1.5g monounsaturated fat, <1g polyunsaturated fat, 1.4g saturated fat, 27.5mg cholesterol, 44.9g carbohydrates, 5.8g fiber, 39.1g net carbohydrates, 7.3g sugar, 0g starch, 1.2g fructose, 0g galactose, 1g glucose, <1g sucrose, 0g maltose, 307.7mg sodium, 234.2mg potassium, 12.1g protein, 72.6mg calcium, 4455.8IU vitamin a, <1mg vitamin b6, 0mcg vitamin b12, 65mg vitamin c, 0IU vitamin d, <1mg vitamin e, 3.6mcg vitamin k, 1.5mg iron, <1g lysine, 0mcg lycopene, <1mg phytosterols, <1mcg selenium, <1mg thiamin, <1mg zinc, 0mg caffeine.
Nutrition (per serving for 6): 198 calories, 4.7g total fat, 1g monounsaturated fat, <1g polyunsaturated fat, <1g saturated fat, 18.3mg cholesterol, 29.9g carbohydrates, 3.8g fiber, 26.1g net carbohydrates, 4.9g sugar, 0g starch, <1g fructose, 0g galactose, <1g glucose, <1g sucrose, 0g maltose, 205.1mg sodium, 156.1mg potassium, 8.1g protein, 48.4mg calcium, 2970.6IU vitamin a, <1mg vitamin b6, 0mcg vitamin b12, 43.3mg vitamin c, 0IU vitamin d, <1mg vitamin e, 2.4mcg vitamin k, 1mg iron, <1g lysine, 0mcg lycopene, <1mg phytosterols, <1mcg selenium, <1mg thiamin, <1mg zinc, 0mg caffeine.
Trader Joe's Basmati Medley (back of package) - Indian Basmati rice, wild rice, dehydrated carrots, onions, celery, red bell pepper. mushrooms, parsley, garlic, lemon peel.
Made in a facility that processes tree nuts and soy