Friday, June 17, 2011

Sweet Potato Muffin Top Biscuits - with Flax Meal and Hemp Protein Powder - gluten-free

I have heard a lot about protein powders, so I decided to try adding some to this Sweet Potato Muffin Top Biscuit.

I recently bought a bag of cold-milled flax seed meal without realizing that a bag was already in the refrigerator. My refrigerator is stocked with gluten-free flours and my made-up mixes, so it could easily hide behind something. I also have a container of Hemp protein powder (with fiber). Of course, this is not the same as the illegal drug, no; there is no THC in the ground seeds or final product. The hemp seeds do not contain THC.

I have tried a lot of pre-made mixes and individual flours. I prefer the individual flours, because I can make a mix tailored to my tastes and nutritional requirements. There is one bread mix that includes sorghum flour that I buy because it can be used for any bread, biscuit or scone. The texture of bread made from the mix is close to wheat bread. I have even used it for quick sweet breads.

Now that I have all of this stuff,  I need to use flax seed meal and hemp protein powder at every opportunity.

This time, I sort of improvised in making the muffin top biscuits, since I wanted to add in the ‘extras’.  The flavor is a little different from the first Sweet potato biscuits, the hemp protein powder mutes the potato taste somewhat.   I expected the protein powder to be over-whelming, so I added a little more cinnamon and nutmeg.  This biscuit is a little less crisp than the first one because of the buttermilk.  I could increase the xanthan gum to make it a little more crisp.

Sweet Potato Muffin Top Biscuits - with Flax Meal and Hemp Protein Powder - gluten-free


Dry Ingredients
1 cup gluten free whole grain self rising flour blend
2 tbsp flax seed meal  (ground flax seeds)
2 tbsp Hemp Protein Powder (with fiber)
2 tbsp tapioca flour/starch
2 Tbsp fine milk powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/8 tsp cardamom powder
1 tsp cinnamon
3/4 tsp nutmeg
Wet Ingredients
3 1/2 tbsp palm shortening
1/4 tsp apple cider vinegar
2 1/2 Tbsp maple syrup (or agave nectar or honey)
1/2 cup puréed sweet potatoes or yams
1/4 cup buttermilk


Procedures
1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
2. Grease the muffin-top pan or a heavy shiny baking pan with shortening or oil. Put just enough shortening to put a film on the pan. Dark pans will cause the bottom to burn before the biscuit is completed cooking
3. Combine all Dry Ingredients in a medium sized mixing bowl and whisk to mix.


4. Whisk in the shortening until mixed in and crumbly.

5. Combine the sweet potatoes, maple syrup and cider vinegar. Stir it into the Dry Ingredients until mixed. Stir in the butter milk just until mixed.



6. Divide the dough into the prepared muffin top pan or into 6 mounds on the baking sheet, depending on how large you want the biscuit to be.
7. Use the spatula to gently stretch the dough into the muffin top tins or into a rounded shape on the baking sheet

8. Bake for 14 to 16 minutes depending on size of biscuit. The moister the biscuit, the longer it takes to bake. When edges are browned and the top springs back, remove from oven. Allow to cool in pan for about 5 minutes.




9. Serve warm, plain or with your favorite spread.






Yield: 6 biscuits

Nutrition Facts - 1/6th of recipe (as prepared)
Nutrition (per serving): 232 calories, 9.2g total fat, <1g monounsaturated fat, <1g polyunsaturated fat, 0g trans fatty acids, 7g saturated fat, 1.1mg cholesterol, 153.4mg sodium, 187.3mg potassium, 34.1g carbohydrates, 3.1g fiber, 30.1g net carbohydrates, 8.4g sugar, <1g sugar alcohols, 3.7g protein, 1.9mg iron, 6mcg folate, 6mg vitamin c, <1mg vitamin b6, <1mcg vitamin b12, <;1mg niacin, <1mcg lycopene, 3.5g aspartic acid.

I really like creating, modifying and trying out new recipes. But it would be really nice to have a live-in gluten-free chef!  Or one who makes house calls....

No comments:

Post a Comment